(Registered cultural charity NPO #077942)
- To host concerts, workshops, master classes, competitions and other educational events for aspiring young musicians to further their education and gain valuable experience from established musicians and teachers for the purpose of improving lives and fostering culture.
- The hosting and staging of the Cape Town International Guitar Festival and Avril Kinsey Classical Guitar Competition.
- To secure financial resources to provide bursaries and scholarships for talented and needy students to study music part time or full time (certificate courses and diplomas) at the Cape Town Academy of Music.
- To encourage careers in music through musical entrepreneurship courses.
- To attract international music students to Cape Town for specialised musical training and African-inspired composition classes.
Formally constituted as a non profit voluntary organisation in December 2009 with a governing board and office bearing committee of 4 persons in 4 portfolios, namely Chairperson, Co-chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer. We obtain the assistance of volunteers for the hands on event work. Previous helpers have included students and parents of CTAM, AFDA students and voluntary community members.
Board and Advisory Board
Avril Kinsey (Chairperson and Artistic Director), Steven Felmore (C0-Chairperson and Media Advisor) Ann Coltham BSoc Sci (Nigel Bailey Consulting), Paul Gouws (Penfin Chartered Accountants), Dr Hendrik Hofmeyr (Associate Professor of Music and Head of Composition, UCT), Guthrie and Colananni Attorneys.
The first-ever Cape Town International Guitar Festival and Avril Kinsey Classical Guitar Competition was an enormous success. It was hosted at the historic wine farm of Groot Constantia where it attracted musicians and teachers from as far afield as the USA, the Far East, Spain and the Netherlands with many students and guests from all over South Africa. There were over 60 entrants in the Avril Kinsey Classical Guitar Competition which offered over R75,000. worth of prizes.
The South African Music Rights Organisation (SAMRO) sponsors FCTAM annually to support music students at the Cape Town Academy of Music to do Trinity College London, and the Royal Schools of Music exams.
FCTAM has been sponsored by ACT, BASA, SA Classical Guitar Society, Ackermans, Hannabach Strings, Bothners, Soundworks, PCAP and the NAC as well as private donors.
To Donate or Sponsor:
We welcome any donation, small or large. It will help make a special cultural and significant difference in the life of a young person, who would not ordinarily be able to afford music lessons.
Branch: Fish Hoek Main Rd
Friends of the Cape Town Academy of Music
Account No: 374231133
Ref: Your name