The Cape Town Academy of Music (CTAM) was founded by Avril Kinsey in January 2000 and offers personalised, quality music education. CTAM is aligned to the international exam syllabus of Trinity College London, which offers the best in world trends and syllabi for all ages and levels.
Based on Ms Kinsey’s philosophy the Academy’s mission is to cater to the needs of the individual, offering discipline with creativity, and care for the person as a whole. Instrumental and voice lessons are one on one, while the professional level certificate courses also include small classes (maximum of 5 students per class of theory, history of music, songwriting, entrepreneurship and business of music, as well as music education theory and how to teach music with practical integrated teaching methods. Most lessons are once a week and are custom designed to meet the individual’s aims, needs and abilities within the requirements of the accepted levels of international graded study.
There are eight grades to music, which under normal circumstances requires between 8 – 9 years. Many of CTAM’s students due to the personalised level of instruction are able to complete the grades in a significantly reduced time. A student must have completed up to a Grade 7 level to be fully prepared for music at a tertiary University level.
Our international level Diploma Courses are designed to provide a practical, highly relevant and professional series of courses that not only offer skills for employment in the industry, and for self employment, but are musically and personally rewarding, because we care about the individual, their talent and the development of professional level skills. Bridge the gap between school music and university, or further your studies in preparation for university or a professional career. Avril Kinsey, Director TLDM, PDM, MMus (distinction), DMus (current)
ASSOCIATE TRINITY COLLEGE OF MUSIC LONDON (ATCL or LTCL) in Teaching or Performance (requires NQF 4 or Grade 8 Practical from a recognised institution)
- Teaching or Performance Diplomas (ATCL or LTCL) takes 1 year to complete [start Jan or June]
- FTCL advanced diploma requires an LTCL pass.
THE MUSIC ARTIST DIPLOMA COURSE (MADip)
- Music Artist (MADip.) takes a minimum of 1 year to complete – accepted after an audition [start Jan or June]
- Music Artist (MADip. part time), (takes 2 years to complete – accepted after an audition)
- Guitar (Classical, Acoustic, Electric), Voice (Rock/Pop incl. Musical Theatre), Piano & Electronic Keyboards and Violin
- Songwriting/Composition, Arranging and Orchestration
- Sight reading and Improvisation
- Theory of Music (start at any level and go at your own pace)
- History of Music (from antiquity to rock and contemporary music)
- Entrepreneurship, Marketing and the Business of Music
- Music Education (individual and class music teaching options)
- Research and writing about music, Music Analysis and Music Pedagogy
DOWNLOAD THE DIPLOMA COURSE DETAILS: CTAM PROSPECTUS
for a 50% sponsorship of the exam fee – subject to passing the mid year exam and 80% attendance.
Word Editing fees for written work is calculated at 10c per word for a document.
Music Artist Diploma (MADip) 1 Years Course (Fees: 50% Jan & 50% June)
Practical subjects: R3000. per term x 4 terms = R12,000. per year, per practical subject
Theory of music: R3000. per term x 4 terms = R12,000. per year
History of Music and Business of Music = R3000. per term x 4 terms = R12,000. per year
Extras: Students may add on extra modules such as teaching, composition/songwriting or producing. Trinity Int’l accredited practical and theory exam fees depend on the grade entered. The student may be eligible for a 50% sponsorship of the exam fee – subject to passing the mid year exam and 80% attendance at classes throughout the year.
We will get back to you in 24 hours, except over the December holiday period when we are closed from 12 December to 8 January.