Dr. Avril Kinsey is an award winning musician, published composer, author and lecturer. She is the Founding Director of CTAMusic & Film and Wild Coast Films. She was awarded the degree Doctor of Music from Nelson Mandela University. She is the first female classical guitar/composer to be awarded the creative DMus in Composition degree in South Africa. The Cape Town Academy of Music (CTAM) and Film, which Avril founded in 2000, is a boutique academy specialising in music education, including composition. International accreditation is through Trinity College London exam work. CTAM offers several instruments and voice, in a variety of genres, as well as theory of music, songwriting, scriptwriting and composition classes.
“Music teaching is about showing students a glimpse of what it is to be an artist in the highest sense. To guide them towards experiencing that place inside where technique, compositional and musical understanding with sensitivity and the joy of musical expression all come together in an honest moment of playing or performing to the best of one’s ability” A Kinsey. An event which will do just this is the GUITAR ORCHESTRA RETREAT happening in WALES, UK in July 2020.
- AUDITIONS for CTAMs internationally accredited MA DIPLOMA are now taking place, and in celebration of 20 years in 2020 CTAM is offering a FREE CONSULTATION and MUSIC ASSESSMENT to the first 20 students interested in pursuing the diploma course. APPLICATIONS ARE ALSO OPEN FOR PART TIME STUDY.
- Highly acclaimed Vocal and Piano teacher JANETTE CILLIERS be joining CTAM in 2020. She has a Masters degree in music with vocal technique as the study of her thesis. She also holds a Fellowship from the Trinity College of London in Singing Performance. As a former solo opera singer with CAPAB and winner of the Crescendo light music competition she has experience in various genres of singing. She loves to discover talent and loves developing vocal techniques of young, as well as adult singers who wish to explore their own abilities as performers or just for fun. With her vast experience in the recording studio, having been a radio broadcast artist and a vocal trainer for young recording artists we are very excited to welcome this highly accomplished and passionate teacher to be part of our team.
- Dr. Kinsey was awarded a prestigious composer’s residency in Visby, Sweden, and the result of her composing work means that the award winning popular SA guitar group, CH2 will perform the world premiere of Recuerdos de Andalucia from Kinsey’s soon to be published Guitar Concerto. The concert Spanish Fantasy will be a prestigious fund raising event for FCTAM’s music bursary scheme to take place on the 25th of March at the Atterbury Theatre in Pretoria 2020.
- Full Time studies are available in MA Dip, ATCL and LTCL teaching diplomas and practical performance diplomas, as well as theory and composition studies for school leavers and young adults. Part time studies are available in a variety of instruments and genres. To apply you need to go through a consultation/audition, but first please kindly send an email to the Director at: firstname.lastname@example.org In this email please include your age, instrument of choice, area you reside in, your matric or latest school percentage, as well as current level of music achievement.
- The Associate Trinity College London (ATCL), and Licentiate Trinity College London (LTCL) Teaching Diplomas can be done full-time, or part-time from anywhere in the world with Dr Kinsey’s long distance SKYPE course options, which includes course supervision, marking of written materials, assessments on observed and actual lesson teaching, as well as editing services. Student Queries:
1. How do we apply? We set up a consultation/audition at which the student can ask all manner of questions. We get to know your aspirations, goals, and levels of achievement and we advise accordingly.
2. Do you offer bursaries? Yes, we do have a limited number of bursaries for talented deserving students in the second year of study. We cover 50% of deserving student’s international Trinity exam fees in any year of study.
3. Is it possible to work while studying at CTAM? Yes, the courses do allow students to do part time work, as long as it does not interfere in the student’s overall progress and submission of work. We encourage work in the creative and performance arts.
4. Does the academy offer accommodation? We are not a large facility, so students generally find their own accommodation.
5. What are the costs? Fees are worked out based on the number of subjects the student takes, and start from as little as R7200. per year. Fees are subject to the length of the class, whether they are one on one lessons or group classes.
6. What is the registration fee? The registration/administration fee is also the consultation fee. So for an extensive consultation you have also covered your once off yearly admin fee of R450.
Find out more by clicking on the highlighted words MUSIC ARTIST DIPLOMA COURSE
Students can study: MUSIC PERFORMANCE and/or COMPOSITION, MUSIC EDUCATION (theory and practical teaching), MUSIC JOURNALISM, ENTREPRENEURSHIP and the BUSINESS of MUSIC. Read the CTAM PROSPECTUS for details.
Dr. Kinsey is an outstanding teacher with a passion for music, which has inspired me, and which has greatly increased my knowledge and love of music. My favourite part of the MA Diploma was business and entrepreneurship, as it has taught me so much about what is possible in terms of business and music, and has made me very excited for my future in music. Daniel Grant
I highly recommend classical guitar lessons with Avril Kinsey. Her depth of knowledge and ability to inspire emotion, passion and artistry, even in the relatively untalented, is profound. She is also adept at providing a framework for important fundamentals of technique. An amazing person and teacher to have in your life.
Andreas Van Wyk.
CTAMs Diploma course is essential for any musician who is serious about making music their full time career. The material is engaging and more importantly makes learning interesting and fun. I really enjoyed the songwriting sessions … while Avril’s knowledge and guidance for the ATCL course was eye opening.
One can absolutely not go wrong under the guidance and tuition of Avril Kinsey. She has shown me what it is to be an inspirational teacher. I gained so much knowledge and experience in becoming professional in such a short period of time. Thank you Cape Town Academy of Music for opening doors I never thought would even cross my path! Karin Jonker
Avril coached me on every aspect of performing. To have a teacher of Avril’s expertise is a rare and valuable opportunity. Steven Kukard
I’ve thoroughly enjoyed doing my LTCL instrumental teaching under the supervision of Avril Kinsey. She puts in the utmost effort with every individual. I am ever so grateful and highly recommend her to anyone wanting to achieve a diploma qualification. Talisa Symons
Consult with Avril regarding one on one lessons, group classes, Skype lessons, or to find out if you qualify for acceptance into any of the Music Artist Certificate courses. Send an e-mail with QUERY CTAM in the subject line to: email@example.com Please include your contact information and as much detail as possible, or download the CTAM PART Time Application form or CTAM FULL Time Application form and/or complete the form below and we will get back to you in 24 hours.
Avril plays and talks about her early days of composing for the classical guitar below ………
One of Avril’s most famous pieces for classical guitar is: Mokoro (Song of the Water)
‘This guitarist’s work is ingenious and evocative, the result of a fertile imagination … a master musician of unusual ability.’ Colin Cooper, Classical Guitar (UK). ‘William Walton’s Bagatelles…The complex detail was presented with clear precision…Elogia de la Danze by Brouwer, a tour de force.’ H Eckstein, Cape Times (SA). ‘Sharply focused eloquence and total brilliance … a sparkling finish to a recital which had delighted a full house.’ Dick Turpin, The Star Tonight (SA)